The stunning sophomore album from this well-loved Bristol-based trio
After a 7”, a number of split releases, a collection CD and their debut album (the majority of which were released by the excellent Specialist Subject Records), Caves present their second album, Betterment. A fitting name given that this album builds on everything the band have done before and amplifies each and every one of the band’s strengths. You already know how great Caves are live, but this is the best version of Caves you will have heard so far on record.
The song-writing is more focused, the melodies soar, the backing vocals still demand to be sung (or shouted) along to live and, because of a magnificent production courtesy of Pete Miles, the songs here at times seem to have a near-unstoppable urgency. Yep, that “live” sound is captured perfectly and makes for an exhilarating ride; whether you’re listening to the rapid punk pop of “Rubino” (as fine an example of the aforementioned urgency as you’ll find), the stripped down title track, the power-pop of “Babyccino” or the epic (by Caves standards) closing track, the aptly titled “Ender”.
Yes, the album whizzes by in just 26 minutes but then this was exactly the kind of situation that the “repeat” button was created for.
Despite the fact they only formed in 2009, Caves seem like they’ve been around for an age. This perception is understandable given their relentless touring ethic (they’ve toured UK, Europe and the US multiple times already) and their relatively prolific output (this will be their 6th release in 4 years). As one of the hardest working DIY bands in the UK it should come as no surprise that the band will be embarking on a 30 date tour around Europe and the UK throughout September/October, culminating in gigs at that most famous of punk-rock Meccas: The Fest in Florida.
To summarise, we were very proud to have been asked to be involved with this record and it’s great having Caves on board. Betterment surpassed all expectations which, for a band of Caves calibre, should be all you need to know.
LP version available via Yo-Yo Records.
- I Don't Care, I Don't Care
- Build Against
- <3 Koala
Lou - Guitar & Vocals
Minty - Bass & Vocals
Dave - Drums
- Caves - Always Why CD / LP 2017 (Specialist Subject Records / Yo-Yo Recrds / Dead Broke Rekerds)
- Caves - Leaving CD / LP 2014 (Specialist Subject Records / Yo-Yo Records)
- Caves - Betterment CD 2013 (Bombed Out Records)
- Caves / Sundials - Split 7" 2012 (Kiss Of Death Records)
- Caves - Homeward Bound CD / LP 2011 (Specialist Subject Records / Yo-Yo Records)
- Caves - Collection CD 2011 (Specialist Subject Records)
- Caves / Calvinball / Pure Graft / Big City Plan - Split 10" 2010 (Records Or It Didn't Happen)
- Caves - s/t 7" 2010 (Specialist Subject Records)
- Flamingo 50
- Personal Best
You may also like
- Caves Leaving (Posted: 6 Oct 2014)
- Betterment has landed (Posted: 1 Jul 2013)
- Caves join Bombed Out (Posted: 16 May 2013)
- Caves - Betterment CD £7.00
- NYNS 2012 - A3 Heavyweight Print £2.00
- Caves - Leaving LP £9.00
- Personal Best - The Lovin' EP £8.00